Keep Your Eyes On The Road And Your Hands On The Wheel
The top five causes of car accidents all have to do with distracted driving.
- Texting While Driving – Chances are you have seen television commercials about this issue. Why? Because it has surpassed even impaired driving as a cause of car accidents all here in St. Pete and all across the United States. So how do we solve the problem? While legislation is being seriously looked at, the only real way to stop this problem is not to text while driving. If you have a teenage son or daughter, take extra time to explain to them that texting is just not that important and it can wait until they get where they are going.
- Changing CD’s/Radio Stations – Like texting while driving, fiddling around with the radio or CD player is a frequent cause of car accidents. We understand that it’s nice to have the tunes you want to hear as you drive, but it isn’t as important as keeping your eyes on the road. Statistics show (across many surveys) that taking your eyes off of what you’re doing for even a second or two can have devastating consequences.
- Drunk Driving – Drunk driving or otherwise being impaired by any substance still haunts us as serious problem. Just last week a prominent athlete in Dallas was charged with driving under the influence and vehicular manslaughter because his blood showed that he was twice the legal limit of BAC (blood alcohol content) when the wreck occurred, killing his friend and teammate. What’s both infuriating and saddening is that driving drunk or on drugs can always be avoided.
- Speeding Or Reckless Driving – Got the need for speed? Love to take risks? Not only is it unlawful, it’s irresponsible and you put everyone else on the road at risk getting your kicks. At Bassett Law Offices, we advocate responsible, lawful driving. We’ve witnessed far too many deaths because of unnecessary car and motorcycle accidents which would have easily been avoided.
- Eating While Driving – Like texting or changing radio stations, eating is another form of distracted driving. Besides being dangerous, you really don’t get the opportunity to simply enjoy your meal. Do not eat while driving. It isn’t safe.